Sunday, September 19, 2010

like a ray of sunshine


Wow. Just wow. I am so thrilled today, I can not even express it. It's a calm, relieved excitement... such relief.

Yesterday was my 14 mile training walk. After the horrible knee pain I've had the past two weekends, I was pretty worried about my Saturday walk. Yes, I managed to make it through the 12 and 13 mile walks, but I was in a lot of pain at the end, plus the rest of the day and the next few days. This ITBS junk doesn't just go away when you stop your long walk. It sticks around and tortures you as you walk up and down the stairs in your house many many many times a day.

I did a lot more researching online, and have started using other stretches, plus I'll be working on strengthening other muscles to help support my walking. I also
tried a different way of wrapping my knee to try and simulate the straps/bands
that can be purchased to help with ITBS. There's no way I want to go to this 3-Day event knowing that I'll be unable to participate in the second day (at least)!
I need to be able to walk two (or three) days in a row.

I am thrilled to say that with this new technique I was able to walk 12 miles before the pain set in!! TWELVE rather than 8! Not only that, but yesterday afternoon and today there has been little to no pain while traversing the stairs. I actually feel that with some more icing I would be able to do a training walk tonight - with wrapping of course. Maybe not the full 10, but something, which was more than before.

This ace bandage wrapping I do will not cut it long term, so I'm going out tomorrow and buying one of the bands made for this kind of thing. The band will be easier to place and easier to tighten, and should do an even better job of keeping me going.

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment