Monday, April 19, 2010

Life lessons from the little one

Tonight I took a nice walk with my 7 year old daughter... well she rode her scooter. We travelled
along the prettiest part of creek/bike path. On the return part of the walk, my daughter kept asking to stop and walk off the path towards the creek. When I walk alone I am very goal oriented - get out and get back, no side trips! I decided to oblige my daughter's curiosity...

We stopped at a little inlet of trees where someone has placed a picture of a little boy, along with the words "In memory of Nathan 1991-1996". So sad. I remember seeing this area all decorated at Christmas time. She asked questions, and I did my best to answer them. Next we stopped at a small clearing and made our way down to the creek. It was actually nice down there, not all gross and dirty like I expected. We hopped around on the rocks a bit and marveled at how clear the water was. There was a big tree with it's tangle of roots mostly exposed - it was amazing to see. The tree had a big hollowed out area and we peeked in. There was a small green plant just starting to grow inside. I really wished I had brought a camera. Next time we are bringing the boys - and a camera - to do more exploring!

We've been living here for 11 years, and I just found this today? Maybe I should be more of a stop and smell the roses kind of person.

No comments:

Post a Comment