Friday, July 30, 2010

Support


We all need it.

And bras are good, well kind of... okay, not really they are annoying and uncomfortable. But the kind of support I'm talking about is mental and emotional rather than physical.

In the past 6 months since I decided to participate in the 3-Day for the Cure I've seen and received such an amazing amount of support. Some from friends, some from strangers and some from strangers who have become friends =) I've seen support given selflessly to other walkers, by people who have no other connection other than our cause.

While some of the support has been monetary, much of it has been in the form of encouraging words, advice or a good laugh =) It comes in an email, a text, a phone call, a re-post of your donation plea, and even in person (gasp! I know, right??).

This morning as I dragged myself out for a 3 mile training walk, I was remembering the encouraging words of some of the other 3dayers, none of whom I've met. As I walked I thought about this wonderful group and smiled. I recounted a supportive email I received from a friend who knows a thing or two about endurance training (he recently completed the Paris 1/2 Marathon!), and I knew I would get through this slump that I am in.

As these happy thoughts ran through my mind I started feeling better and stronger. I ended up walking 4.5 miles rather than the 3 I had set out to slog through... AND I did it in my best time yet!

Support is an amazing thing, and I am so thankful to be surrounded with such wonderful people. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right the support in the 3day is amazing I am so proud of each of you I now call me friends.

    way to go....keep up the great work!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! I love my 3 Day Tweeps and don't know what I would do without you guys.

    ReplyDelete