Thursday, June 10, 2010

Obsess, much?

Today is the 4th day of the first week of training. According to the 24 week training schedule this means that a 3 mile easy walk is in order. Nice.



I had volunteered to go on my daughter's field trip for this morning partially because it entailed some walking. Our walk to the local grocery store was .82 miles each way... ummmm... approximately ; ) <3 mapmywalks.com <3 My plan was to go on the field trip and just continue walking another 1.5 miles once the kiddies were back at school. I even mapped it out. You're shocked, right? <3 mapmywalks.com <3

Before I continue, I must digress. I will admit that I am not in the best shape ever. ...ahem... But I was shocked at the number of 8 year old kids who were complaining and struggling with the walk to the store. Shocked and saddened. My kids are kept busy, mostly with soccer. Okay, the 1 winter month and 2 summer months when there isn't any soccer it does get tough to keep them from sitting on their butts all day. I'm not saying we are the perfectly fit family, but seriously, struggling to walk less than one mile.... at age 8???? Sigh..

Back to my obsession... All through the morning a little voice inside my head kept reminding me of the extra 1.5 miles that I needed to walk. Must. Get. To. Three. Miles. It's on the schedule. Has to be done.

Well the teacher asked me to stay for a bit. Good reason why, but not going to go into it now. So I stayed. Finally it's just about noon, and I head on out. I'm trying to decide when I'm going to walk, because now it's noon and I'm hungry. And the sun came out. And I'm hungry. You still need another 1.5 miles... Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Who IS this voice and what did she do with the Relax, you can do it tomorrow voice??

My husband called and asked if I wanted to meet him for lunch. Heck yeah! I drove down to where he was working and he said he would be there in a few minutes. At first I went inside to wait, but I was too antsy. Instead I walked. Yup. Walked around the shopping center. My voice was happy. My legs were happy. So I walked around again. Aaahhhhh this feels good.
I walked for 30 minutes. It ended up equaling, you guessed it, 1.5 miles!

Finally my husband showed up and we went in and ate. The voice was quieted, my tummy was filled and I felt great : )

No comments:

Post a Comment